Besides dreading bacteria and viruses during this coronavirus period, perhaps pests such as cockroaches and rats are the next loathed culprit. It is also a common phobia developed among many of us. Rentokil Initial shares reasons why cockroach control is essential to maintain besides optimising hygiene and sanitisation.
Top 5 questions and queries on cockroach
- Why cockroaches is a real health danger. Find out the bacteria and diseases they spread.
- How and why cockroaches appear in cars and how to deal with it?
- What is the difference between German and American cockroach?
- Are cockroaches active at night only? What if they appear in the daytime?
- Where do cockroaches hide in the home? Why you need to find them?
Common fears of cockroach infestation
Firstly, parents would fear the thought of cockroaches running into their kids’ ear while asleep. Secondly, we are annoyed because they surface at night and makes detection harder. Thirdly, they slides and flies so quickly that makes eliminating them more challenging. Finally, they are unhygienic pests that cause food safety consequences. Above all, cockroaches crawling on us as we watch a movie or eating a meal.
Cockroaches cause damaging health and safety implication
Some of the common cockroach infestation signs include the presence of cockroach droppings and urine stains. However, here are critical reasons why cockroach pest control is essential.
- The bacteria they picked up as they crawl along unhygienic surfaces causes food contamination
- Spread diseases such as Salmonella and Dysentery
- Causes allergy through their saliva and faeces
- Cockroach bites that can result in itch and swell
Cockroach infestation starts small before turning serious
Very much similar to seeing a doctor when you are experiencing mild flu or cold symptoms, this applies the same to pest management. It starts from a mere dropping or urine stain stench, or just one cockroach crawling around that seems insignificant. Getting rid of cockroaches early can prevent the following consequences:
- Harbourage and reproduction of cockroaches within 6 to 12 months
- Long-term build-up of cockroach problem. As much as 16 eggs are laid each time
- Cockroaches can crawl and travel to other sites. In addition, spread of cockroach infestation elsewhere
- Unnoticed cockroach nests and root source hiding at corners and clutters
- Food poisoning symptoms due to inadequate food safety preparations
Common complaints and challenges faced in cockroach control
One of the most common complaints around cockroach infestation is the inability to catch them with a cockroach repellent or newspaper. Secondly, they tend to give us a shocking surprise by jumping out of bins and chutes. Thirdly, they tend to come in bulks and numerous quantities. Finally, the re-infestation and procuring problem despite applying cockroach eradication tips diligently. Above all, is the frustration around spending money to engage in pest control services that appears ineffective?
Cockroach prevention home remedies commonly adopted
Vast information are available around from friends, peers and on the internet on best home remedy to get rid of cockroaches. While some tips and methods work to some extent, some may cause more money or harm in the long-term. Rentokil pest control recaps the familiar practices among households.
- Maintain tip top home maintenance and housekeeping
- Apply DIY cockroach baits, traps and insecticides found in retail shops
- Keep home well sealed by shutting doors and windows
- Install door screening and proofing at the bottom to prevent entry
- Try the good-old pest myths such as placing pandan leaves, mothballs and condiments.
- Seek ad-hoc one time off cockroach treatment
- Sign up a cockroach with professional pest control company
Are you aware what causes cockroaches infestation?
It is not that difficult to guess where cockroaches come from. However, it could be uncontrollable environmental factors, structure considerations and daily lifestyle habits to bring about an infestation. Some common home guilt that invites unwanted cockroach pests includes:
- Forgot to clear the trash or not sealing the bins with a lid
- Accumulate dishes in the wash basin after meal or food preparation
- Storing goods and all sorts of clutter in the cabinet sink
- Not noticing water spills and leaks cause by plumbing pipes
- Snacking in study room or living hall without clearing up
- Bringing home loads of shopping bags that could carry on cockroaches
How to get rid of cockroaches in your home?
There are simple steps you can undertake to prevent cockroaches together with a pest control services specialist. Firstly, seek early and regular detection and inspection. Secondly, do not procrastinate housekeeping and home maintenance. Thirdly, be mindful of pest signs and inadequate home habits. Fourthly, engage in pest control contract for protection and treatment. Finally, apply pest prevention tips and recommendations requested from a pest control company.
Cockroach infestation in office is a common problem
While we know how to keep roaches away from an apartment, but what about our workplace? Do you know, cockroach is often found in an office due to factors such as:
- Poor workstation habits such as leaving eaten packed food on the desk overnight
- Snacking at desks with food crumbs and drinks spilled around
- Not disposing trash and packed lunches adequately
- Trash bins are not emptied or left open in the pantry
- Food preparation at pantries with food waste lying around
- Poor drainage system, gaps or leaks that cause cockroaches to enter or breed
Engage in cockroach pest control
Pest control is not just for businesses or for serious cases in an industry. It is applicable be it for residential or commercial. Rentokil Initial shares some common myths around engaging pest control. Some questions include:
- It is costly and can be substituted by DIY pest elimination remedies
- Professional pest control prices are largely overly charged
- Treatments will only be effective just one time
- Only serious cases can seek pest control services
- Chemicals are harmful and toxic to surrounding
- There is a downtime and operational disruption
When to schedule for pest control services?
So the question is when to schedule for pest management help? Firstly, you should start engaging a professional to do a site survey and determine infestation level and key risk areas. Secondly, you can start taking up long-term protection and management with a monthly routine. Thirdly, if you think there are any unusual pest signs, do seek professional help to perform a pest identification. Finally, some pests are acute and situational.
For instance, bed bugs, rats or mosquitoes can take place because of seasonality, cross infestation or urbanisation reasons. In these situations, it is essential to seek early and quick rectification before the infestation spreads and turns out of control.
What to expect during the whole pest control service process?
Enquiry and recommendation process
- Do ask questions around the credibility of the pest control company
- Read up customer reviews on their service satisfaction level
- Check on the active ingredient and safety data sheets for assurance
- Have a run through on the treatment process and what to do next
- Perform a cross comparison among few companies for reference check
Service treatment day and checklist
- Prior to treatments, a checklist and Standard Operating Manual process will be shared
- Homes or offices will be prepared before the specialists turn up
- Ensure you have a service report upon treatment on what has been performed
After sales service upon treatment completion
- Contact your pest control consultant or specialist for a follow up
- Credible providers even provide online reporting platform for constant monitoring
- There is a monthly inspection scheduled if you are on a proper contract maintenance
- Conduct your own site inspection and stay aware for any unusual pest activities
- Maintain diligent housekeeping and facility care
Call Rentokil Singapore at 6347 8138 for cockroach control treatment today.