Bed bugs in Singapore has become a pest-talk of the town because of its pest implication and impact it caused to a home. There are more cases of bed bugs reported and the nightmare family has to go through. In this article, Rentokil Singapore shares the complete guide on bed bugs facts you must know.
Complete guide agenda covers the following
- All you need to know about bed bugs
- Possible causes bed bugs infestation
- What will attract bed bugs in your home
- The list of damages and risks bed bugs caused
- How do you tell if your home has bed bugs? What are some bed bugs signs?
- Actions you can take if you detected bugs in your home
- Consequences of leaving bed bug problem untreated
- Interesting bed bug pest myth you should know
- Bed bugs control options to consider
- FAQ on bed bugs treatment
- Useful bed bugs pest prevention tips
Things to know about bed bugs?
How does bed bugs look like? Bed bugs are flat, tiny and oval in shape pest that is reddish to brown in colour. They feed on human blood to survive and typically surface at night for food source. With the scientific name as Cimex lectularius, they shed skin that looks like flakes. The bed bug life cycle starts from eggs to fully-grown adult, and they can lay from 200 to 500 eggs over a 2 months period. As their lifespan is up to 6 months and they are capable to survive without food meal for weeks, it is important to ensure adequate and thorough treatment that covers their life cycle and span.
We have gather some common questions often asked about bed bugs.
- How do you know if those bumps on your legs or arms are from bug bites
- Why is my home still infested with bed bugs even if its spot clean?
- How much is a bed bug treatment cost?
- Is luggage’s bed bugs favourite item to?
- How long do they really live?
What are the causes of bed bugs infestation?
Some of the common causes of bed bugs problem includesSome of the common causes of bed bugs problem includes
- Recycling or reusing 2nd hand furniture that could have been infested with bed bugs
- Accidental transfer of bed bugs to your body or belongings
- Contracting bed bugs during a leisure or work trip, commonly at lodging venues and hotels
These pests are cross-infestation, and easily travel and spread from place to place, human interactions or hitch-on to items and luggage. Due to its tiny-nature, it is often unnoticed if you have brought them home until pests signs become visible. Tips: It is useful to check your belongings and your clothing for traces of these bugs and remove them before stepping home.
What attracts bed bugs in your home?
They like body heat and carbon dioxide especially when we are asleep. Often found in cracks and crevices, they enjoy lurking at the following
- Bed seams
- Skirting board
- Below carpets
This means, closing to the host and convenient for them to start feeding for their meals before dawn.
List of damages and risks bed bugs caused
Besides the fear, stress and inconvenience bed bugs can cause, the following are a list of common damages and complaints experienced by homeowners.Besides the fear, stress and inconvenience bed bugs can cause, the following are a list of common damages and complaints experienced by homeowners.
- Replacing bed mattress and head boards
- Incur additional costs in changing affected curtains or blinds
- Buying new carpets and rugs
- Throwing away infested furniture
- Suffering from bed bug bites
- Potential medical attention for bed bug allergies
- Purchasing sprays and off-the shelve remedies to resolve the issue
- Engage pest control services
What are some bed bugs tell-tales signs?
Some of the common pest signs includes the presence of dark, reddish, brown and black stains found on your bed and around the seams and headboard. You may also notice “tiny blood spots” which is actually their faecal pellets. In fact, these pests exude a musty sweet smell and for the serious cases, live crawling bed bugs are seen around the space. Read here to find out more about bed bug favourite hiding hot spots.
Actions you can take if you detected bugs in your home
It is everyone’s nightmare upon finding these worry-some bed bugs in your home. Here is what you can do if you spot the presence of bed bugs.
- Apply bed bug deterrent method. Some believe the use of ingredients such as baking soda, spices and cinnamons help to deter them away.
- Use of bed bug heat treatment helps to eliminate the eggs
- Carry out a diligent housekeeping regime
- Throw and dispose infested belongings
- Check if any family members are suffering from bites and rash
- Call a professional bed bug control specialist
Note: Bed bugs can spread quickly and travel. Their quick and large quantity reproduction could mean, escalating the bed bug infestation throughout the home. It is important not to procrastinate and delay seeking treatment and actions. : Bed bugs can spread quickly and travel. Their quick and large quantity reproduction could mean, escalating the bed bug infestation throughout the home. It is important not to procrastinate and delay seeking treatment and actions.
Understanding more about bed bugs control options
For first time bed bugs victim, here is what you need to know on how to get rid of bed bugs with the various treatment options.
- Eliminating bed bugs is not a one-time-off removal job, it requires 2 to 3 residual spray treatments to adequately eradicate the bugs
- Heat treatment is necessary to ensure the eggs are eliminated
- Prior detection and inspection is required to ensure a full site assessment and survey is conducted for accurate application
- Treatment has to be done across intervals up to 2 months to address the bed bugs life cycle
- Post treatment monitoring is essential to ensure no bugs-left-over to reproduce and spread
There are many bed bug removal companies in the market, and to help manage the situation better, we have compiled a list of useful FAQ on bed bugs treatment you can apply when you are searching for a pest control company in Singapore.
Adopting bed bugs pest prevention tips
Bed Bugs can recur due to its cross-infestation nature. To ensure ongoing protection and safety, here are some useful bed bugs pest prevention tips you can adopt.
Be it traveling when you approach the hotel, and when you return from a trip, here are some useful tips you can apply to minimise the risks of recurring another bed bug infestation.
Call Rentokil Pest Control at 6347 8138 for a bed bug elimination help today.
Other topics that people also ask
Can I get rid of bed bugs on my own?
You may get rid of bed bugs in some ways, for instance removing bug-infested home items. You can replace curtains, carpets, and vacuum surfaces such as walls and floors to remove any existing bugs. DIY off-the-shelve sprays can be purchased and spray onto existing infested locations to get rid of bed bugs.
However, you might miss potential areas with bugs hiding around, or did not eliminate any eggs that can reproduce or use the wrong chemical or active ingredient to eradicate bed bug life cycle effectively. Because of its complexity, and the speed of infestation spread, seek professional bed bugs control.
How do you check for bed bugs?
Bed bugs signs include presence of dark red tiny spots or stains that you can observe at hot spots such as corners and edges of your mattress and bed seams, within the folds or curtains, edges of cushion or sofa, and other possible corners near the paintings, cabinets or table lamp. Also, check for any visible shed skins, or eggs lying around on the surfaces, commonly in the room and on the bed.
How do you prevent bed bugs in your home?
- Avoid bringing in second hand furniture, particularly beds or sofa that may potentially hitch a bed bug to your home
- Maintain regular and diligent housekeeping including steaming the curtains and vacuuming the place.
- Use light-colored bed sheets for easy detection of bed bugs with a contrast.
- Minimise clutter and mess around the home to reduce hiding spots
- Seal any gaps and crevices especially to prevent entry or bugs hiding within those spaces.
- Always maintain diligent inspection and detection for possible bugs presence
- Wash bed sheets with warm temperature to eliminate any bugs
- Be aware of what attracts bed bug, i.e. the body warm and carbon dioxide in the room
- When travelling, maintain the dos and don’ts checklist.