Ants in the kitchen is one of the many common home complaints in Singapore. They come in troops, move in straight lines and persistent in their presence in your home. Rentokil Pest Control shares the complete guide on how to stop an ant infestation.
Complete guide agenda covers the following:
- What are the different types of ants species
- Comparison of red and black ants
- What are some ants infestation causes?
- Learn the signs of ants infestation
- Discover the harm and diseases caused by ants
- Understanding more about ant bites
- Where do ants come from?
- Debugged ants pest myth
- Engage ants control program
- Ways that ants elimination methods can go wrong
- Ants removal cost
- Ant preventive tips
What are the types of ants?
- Enjoy resting at areas that are moist, damp or decaying
- Body is black in colour
- Diet preference include sweet substance, dead insects and protein.
- Build nests within good, and tends to confuse with termites as a result
- They are translucent and pale in colour
- Favourite nesting area includes wet and moist spaces such as kitchen, flower points
- Food sources include sweet and greasy substance and insects
- Comes in group or colony
- Comes in greyish in colour
- Nest around outdoor largely, typically at woody and soil area
- Enjoy damp and moist conditions
- Feed almost on anything, such as sweet and protein matters, and insects
A comparison summary of different ants type
|Red Ants||Black Ants|
|They are also known as fire ants||Less aggressive compared to red ant|
|Can cause bite when provoke or for defence||May have bites but do not hurt as much|
|Bites are painful with burning feel||They are less harmful generally but treated as a nuisance|
How are ants invited to a home?
What attracts ants in a home? What do ants eat and feed on? Just like humans, pests such as ants require three basic survival elements, namely food, water and shelter. This also explains why the kitchen, living and dining room is ants’ favourite hangout. Here is a list of common causes of ants’ infestation.
- Presence of sweets, sugar, juices, grease, starchy and protein in the home
- Food crumbs, waste, debris and leftovers
- Water spills and peaks
- Poor housekeeping and facility maintenance
- Not storing and sealing food properly
- Waste or garbage bins non cleared or covered
- Entering home through gaps, crevices and holes
- Availability of wood, structure such as door frame, panel for ants to nest within
- Placing of plants and greens around the home
There are curiosity on questions relating to ants, for instance:
Q.Do ants get worse when it rains?
A. When it rains, ants seek shelter and avoid trapping, drowning and flushing out from puddles and soil. They seek dry spaces for shelter, safety and hideout.
Q. How long do ants live?
A. An ant life cycle depends on various factors. For example, a male ant can live for a few days whereas the queen can last for years. The type of species matter as well. Fire ant for instance can survive just a few weeks. Nonetheless, without food sources especially water, the life span of an ant would be shorten. Thus, it is important to understand the facts of ants to keep infestation at bay.
Identify the signs of ants’ infestation
Small as it seems, it might seem impossible to spot these disruptive pests. Here are some tips on how to know if you have ants’ infestation.Small as it seems, it might seem impossible to spot these disruptive pests. Here are some tips on how to know if you have ants’ infestation.
- Noticing a troop or lines of ants crawling and marching along surfaces and wall
- Lurking around food preparation area, especially dining tables and kitchen top
- Ant trials or pathway, which usually leads to the nest and colony – this is actually the pheromones left behind for communicating among the ants and food source purposes
- Presence of an ant nest in dark spaces or corners
- Substance that looks like dust or dirt could be an indicator of an infestation.
Here are some interesting questions on ants’ facts matter:
Q. Where do ants lay their eggs?
A. The queen produced ant eggs within the nest and colony build by them, usually at basements, cupboards and cabinets.
Q. How do ants communicate?
Ants leverage on pheromones to communicate with one another. It emits a signal to the members to inform about food trails and availability or a danger sign.
Discover harm and diseases caused by ants
Pests are unwanted home companion because of its harm it can cause to us. Some of the common risks includes the spread of diseases leading to food contamination by cockroaches, and the most feared Dengue fever by mosquitoes. Having said that, are ants poisonous? Generally, ants are not harmful; however, some ant species may bring more harm to other.
For example, red ants or fire ants bite and may cause stringing pain when bitten. Of course, by consuming contaminated food, regardless any species, they can cause health and safety risks such as food poisoning symptoms.
Understanding more about ant bites.
Identifying the type of pest bites is important, to help understand what kind of pest infestation in your home and to seek the right medical treatment. It is helpful to know how ant bites looks like to avoid confusing with other bites that could be fatal if left untreated. For instance, fire ant bites appears to be in small, swollen and red spots, but creates a painful, itchy and stinging feeling. Some would describe the bite that comes with hot or burning sensation.
What happens if you are bitten by ant? Do wash and keep the wound clean, topical treatments may be applied and ice the area if the stings are too painful. However, it is encouraged to seek medical treatment to avoid worsening of the wound or developing potential allergy.
One of the main reasons why do ants bite us is largely because of self-defense or thinks they are at threat by your provocation. One tip in dealing with pest infestation such as ants, or any other insects, is to leave them alone and seek professional help.
Debugged Ants Pest Myth
There are many do it yourself any treatment or remedy for ants at home options on the internet. Here is a list of common home remedies
- Repelling ants by using home ingredients such as lemon, cucumber peels, oranges and even spices such as pepper, cinnamon and vinegar
- Flushing ants with warm, hot or normal temperature water
- Drawing a barrier line to deter ants movement and detail their scent trail
Ways that ant elimination can go wrong
Getting rid of ants may sound easy, since they are less harmful and complex, compared to termites or even mosquitoes. However, as easy it may sound, it is possible that your elimination methods will be ineffective. Here are some reasons why you fail to get rid of ants in your house.
- You may have neglected all possible entry points.
- Have you sealed those cracks and crevices apply proofing to deter ants from entering?
- Did you miss those blind spots and unexpected hot spots that could be harbouring a nest and production?
- Have you taken a second look at your furniture for early signs of infestation?
- Placing of ant baits or gel at the wrong location
- Using the wrong insecticide spray or active ingredient
- Addressing localise problem that is usually visible while ignoring the root source
Learning more on ants control in Singapore
Unfortunately, there is no best natural way to get rid of ants due to various factors that causes ants infestation. Ants control service in Singapore involves complete and comprehensive elements to control your ant problem. It typically consists of:
- Initial inspection and a site survey to determine the pest type, ant species, level of infestation and infested area.
- Scheduled treatments including residual spray or placing ant traps, baits and gels at strategic targeted areas
- Regular monitoring by a professional team to check infestation situation and new potential nests
- Reporting and providing recommendations such as housekeeping and facility maintenance
Ant removal costs
Is it necessary to spend on a professional pest control service and how much is pest control for ants? The cost of ants control in Singapore can be affordable and manageable. You may opt for a simple one time off job to resolve the existing problem, or a long-term contract with regular treatments and valued added pest control service. The cost is determined by
- The severity of ants infestation level
- Size or area coverage that needs to be treated
- The right identification of pest type: Note: If pest is detected as termites and not ants, cost of treatment would be much higher than a common pest type such as ants.
Ants’ prevention tips
The truth. We cannot get rid of ants permanently or apply the best home remedy to get rid of ants. Ants’ eradication involves both home users and pest control specialist to control ants challenge. Adopt some ants prevention tips to minimise your home risks of developing into an ants infestation, or worse of all, worsening the infestation level.
Call Rentokil Singapore at 6347 8138 for an ants control service programme today.
Other topics that people ask
What kind of ants are in my kitchen
Sugar ants, are perhaps one of the common ants found in the kitchen because of their love for sugar, food debris and water they can find in the kitchen. Carpenter ants is another species found in the kitchen, not because of the delicious food they can find, but the furniture and frames within the kitchen that they dug their way into the wood. Pharaoh ants are another type of ant species found in kitchen, because of the grease and food crumbs left behind.
How do I keep ants out of my cabinet?
- Clean the inside and exterior of cabinets and kitchen top
- Make sure no food residues found in these cabinets
- For cabinets with built-in concept to store pipes, make sure there is no leaks or water spills
- Check for any gaps or cracks that may allow ants to enter and hide
- Conduct regular ants inspection and detection for presence of ants nests• Place baits and deterrents to repel ants and destroy their scent trail
- Engage in ants pest control service for added protection
How do I get rid of ants permanently?
Besides maintaining diligent housekeeping, regular inspection and engage in ants control treatment, here are additional tips to maintain to help get rid of ants effectively
- Always remove any visible ants trail or line. This is because they leave a scent or pheromone to communicate with other ants. Wash thoroughly the surfaces and dispose those ants.
- For additional elimination of ants, vacuum the floor and surfaces and make sure no presence of ants lying around
- Removing the colony is as good as removing the entire ant situation. Seek professional pest control service for ants’ elimination.
- Do not neglect outdoor ants. For example, odorous ants nest among mulch, grass area, stones and bricks, and may enter your home through door opening or gaps.