Fly infestation in Singapore could be one of the many food businesses nightmare, and tends to get featured on social media and news if that occurs in their restaurants and cafes. Rentokil Pest Control shares the complete guide for fly pest control in Singapore.
Complete guide agenda covers the following
- What are the common flies’ species
- Interesting house fly control and facts
- What attract flies to a premise
- Learn the fly infestation signs
- What do I do if I experience flies problem
- Can you get diseases from houseflies
- Debugged some common flies pest myths
- How do you control a fly infestation
- Utilsiing LED Technology as flies control
- How much is pest control for flies
- Why is pest control services for flies important
- Adopt useful houseflies prevention tips
Identify the different flies’ species
- Commonly known and heard flies among household
- They feed on almost anything, including food ingredients, pet food, waste, faeces and decaying matter
- Breed largely in moist conditions
- Often found near waste bins, garbage area, wall, ceilings
- As the pest name suggest, they are found near fermenting matters of fruits and vegetables
- They breed at unhygienic areas. For instance, drains, garbage or waste bins and soiled sinks and dishes.
- Different from house fly because fruit fly is yellowish brown in colour with red eyes
- These pests lay their eggs on fermented or composed items, which might explains a fly population developed overtime if uncleaned.
- These flies love unsanitised conditions and lurk around spaces such as bins, garbage and trash cans.
- Attracted to faeces and dead pests or animals, which is why it is important to clear them up
- Their body is blue in colour with red eyes, that resonates with their species name
- They have preference for odour or foul smell, which represents rotten or decomposed matters
Here are some interesting fly facts
We gathered some interesting facts about this flies, and perhaps you could be wondering on them too.
- Why flies enjoy hovering around our food
- Do flies surface and emerge in the daytime or night-time?
- 3 signs of fruit flies infestation you should be worried about
- Is UV lights the best solution to eliminate flies?
- Top 10 interesting flies facts
What attracts flies to an environment?
Abundance of food supplies are what attracts flies to a home or restaurant. Due to their favour of odour and bad stenches, they are attracted to the following
- Food waste, garbage and trash cans items that are fermented or decomposed, including rotten vegetables, fruits and meat
- Presence of drains and sewers where flies can hide and harbourage
- Sweet and ripe fruits and vegetables
- Faeces, dead pests or insects and carcasses that are not removed
- Flies seek shelter, and will hide and nest by entering into a home or restaurant through door openings, cracks, crevices or ventilation gaps
- Pheromones, which is a scent trail they used to communicate and navigate
Perhaps, one of the common question to ask is, are flies attracted to light? Yes, flies favour lights, commonly blue and black, for navigation purposes. Their eyes compound are made up of multiple lens, there they are sensitive to lights.
What are the signs of fly infestation?
- Presence of visible flying insects around the premises
- There could be a potential breeding source if you spot maggots around
- Clusters of fly hovering at certain spot, for instance garbage bins or piles
- Check for larvae breeding at hot spots, i.e. drainage, grease or gulley traps, floor, tiles
What to do if we think our place has fly infestation?
First step, more importantly, is to call for a professional pest control company, to apply quick fixes for you. This includes
- Installing the right type and number of fly traps at the premise to control and trap adult flies population
- Check for breeding source that develops to adult flies, which explains why population is never controlled
- Consult the pest control specialist to determine the current situation of the premise. For instance, is the sanitation and housekeeping adequate, are entries closed all times, is the infestation level serious
- Discuss if there is a need to tweak your current fly control programme
Learning more about house flies and diseases
Why are house flies dangerous? Because of their interaction in really dirty, unhygienic and poorly sanitised surfaces and locations and the food source they are feeding on. Here is a summary of the common diseases caused by flies. They transmit diseases through their regurgitation process by transferring from digestive systems after they defecate.
- Typhoid Fever
It is important to maintain good personal hygiene and ensure you do not contract these diseases and infections through
- Coming into direct contact with sensitive areas of your body, such as eyes, hand, mouth, nose and any open wound or sores
- Consuming these contaminated and infected food and drinks
- Using unsanitied and contaminated cooking tools for food preparation
Debugged Flies Pest Myth
Perhaps one common house fly control home remedies is by hanging reflective round discs around the premise. In some cases, bags of water that has a reflection effect. Do they work? Because of their attraction to light and their confusion caused by these reflective rays, flies might be temporary confused and disoriented for a while. After that, they will embark on another path for navigation and food source.
What about smell? What smell will keep flies way? Myths and beliefs by using spices and condiments such as garlic, basil, bay leaf, or cinnamon can help deter flies. In addition, vinegar and cider are also common choices. Largely applicable to other pests, the use of essential oil are common too, including peppermint, lavender and lemongrass.
How do you control a fly infestation problem?
.Presence of flies are not only damaging to a person’s health and safety risk, but also affecting the business operations and reputation. Here are some steps and measures to take on how to get rid of flies.
Maintain optimal sanitation and housekeeping
- Make sure you do not leave any possible food supplies to feed on.
- Clear the trash and have well covered waste bins
- Store food ingredients properly in containers or storage
- Wipe spills, grease and any dirt or grime
- Keep place dry at all times
Apply adequate proofing in your home or restaurant
- Fix door proofing to ensure no possible of pest entries at the bottom
- Seal any visible cracks, gaps or crevices around
- Install screens and mash for additional protection
- Always remember to keep door closed, especially at kitchens at all times.
Detect and inspect for signs and risks
- Infestations always start small and appear harmless. However they will escalate and break into a serious infestation if left untreated
- Spot for signs of infestations, such as larvae breeding, adult flies and maggots lying around
Engage professional Pest Control Company
- Scheduled frequency service visits and misting is carried out for flies elimination
- Flying insect control traps units are placed at strategic location to lure and trap these flies
- For additional protection, small flies foaming, such as the Foam Blitz Solution. It removes flies breeding sites, especially at hard to reach spaces or potential hot spots. Application locations include kitchens, canteens, café, production area and restaurants.
Inspection and Monitoring
- Food businesses are subjected to financial penalty risks and business closure for non-compliance to zero-pest policy. Therefore, regular inspection and monitoring of the premise is critical. Above all, pest trend analysis is helpful to monitor current situation.
- Credible and trusted flies control specialist will provide a pest trend report, service recommendations and identify any additional signs of infestations.
Introducing Lumnia LED Technology
Running of a business requires heavy overhead and operating cost. In addition, there is also the fear of non-regulatory compliance should presence of flies found. Therefore, Rentokil Initial designs a new fly control unit, Lumnia that utilises LED technology to control flies effectively. In addition, energy savings and cost business can enjoy, especially for multiple outlets or food chains, where accumulate units may cost a hefty sum.
We all know, in today’s modernisation and intense competition, aesthetics and interior design is as important. Therefore, the Lumnia LED fly traps also comes in vibrant and modern colours to complement your décor. Find out the various cool colours to spruce up the space.
How much is a fly control service in Singapore?
The cost of engaging fly control treatment for your business or home determines on a few factors•
- The frequency of treatment
- Service coverage
- Number of fly control trap units installed
- The quality and type of fly traps utilised
- Additional treatments for instance to control the larvae breeding
- Value added services such as pest identification, pest trend analysis and monitoring
- Pest Awareness Training or Awareness Programme to end users
Why is controlling flies crucial for business?
Flies control is critical due to food contamination risks and diseases it spread to humans. In addition, the other crucial factor in ensuring zero-pest policy is because of the business and financial implications in terms of non-compliance. In conclusion,
- Social media crisis and brand reputation risks
- Financial penalty and demerits
- Potential closure of the business
- Lower customer trust and patronage
- Recovery costs and expenses incurred
Adopt useful flies preventive tips
Call Rentokil Singapore at 6347 8138 for flies control elimination programme help today.
Other topics that people also asked
What can I spray to keep flies away?
There are pesticides and insecticide spray available at DIY Retail Shops you can purchase. Some also believe by spraying a mix of natural ingredients and deterring elements such as apple cider vinegar, cinnamon and cayenne powder or essential oil including lavender, citronella, mint and lemon. But do note that these are deterrent methods, but will not get rid of flies effectively.
How long do flies infestation last?
On average, an adult housefly can live from 20 to 25 days but potentially could live for over a month. However, infestation duration also determines on factors such as
- Life cycle span from egg, larva, pupa and adult fly
- If reproduction continues consistently with a pool of flies
- Is the environment favourable for flies to breed
Will heat attract flies?
Yes, flies strive and breed better in warmer climate and conditions and are attracted to the warmth and heat radiates from the environment.