Mosquito at home and Dengue Fever have been a top concern and worry among public in Singapore. With the increasing dengue cases reported in Singapore, Rentokil Pest Control shares the complete guide on how to prevent Dengue in Singapore with mosquito control programme.
Complete guide agenda covers the following:
- The different types of mosquito species
- What attracts mosquitoes around us?
- What do mosquitoes feed on to survive?
- Find out diseases caused by mosquitoes
- Where are the common mosquito breeding places?
- Raising awareness on the signs of mosquitoes infestation
- Learning more about Dengue Clusters in Singapore
- How to prevent mosquito bites and health risks
- Debugged some common mosquitoes pest myths
- Engage mosquito control treatment
- How much does mosquito control costs?
- Adopt useful mosquito prevention tips
The different types of mosquito species
- Body has black and white markings
- Breeds in clean, stagnant water
- Active and bites at dawn
- Spread diseases such as Dengue Fever and Zika
- They possess pale and dark markings on their wings
- Prefers dirty and polluted stagnant water
- Typically surface and bites at night
- Spread diseases such as Japanese B Encephalitis
- Have similar pale and dark markings on the wings like the Culex Mosquitoes
- Targets sea water and swamps
- Active and bites at night
- Spread diseases such as Malaria
What attracts mosquitoes to us?
Ever wonder why some places tends to attract more mosquitoes? What actually attracts mosquitoes to a person or space?
- Presence of carbon dioxide we exhale
- Body heat and warm emitting from our body
- Perspire and lactic acid – usually after an activity or exercise
- Bacteria found on our skin
- Dark coloured attires and clothing
Do blood type affect mosquito bites? Studies shown that individuals with O Type Blood Group may be at higher risk of attracting mozzie. Read more on the blog article featuring why we are attracted to mozzies.
What mosquitoes feed for meals?
Water and moisture is a common food source for all pest types, including mosquitoes. Besides water and nectar, mosquitoes, particularly female species, requires protein through blood meal. This also explains why they bite us, to suck blood for their reproduction purpose. During this process, they may potentially be infected from a carrier and spread these diseases as they continue the process to humans.
What are some diseases mosquitoes cause?
Mosquitoes’ causes red, itchy bumps on our skin after a bite. At times, they may cause swell, blisters or allergy.
Some mosquito-borne diseases includes the commonly known diseases such as Dengue Fever and Zika. Here is a summary of both Dengue symptoms and Zika symptoms.
|Symptoms||Sudden high fever and severe headaches||Fever|
|Pain behind the eyes||Sore eyes with conjunctivities|
|Severe joint and muscle pain||Joint pain|
|Fatigue, with nausea and vomiting|
Where are the common mosquito breeding places?
Mozzie starts from breeding. They go through a lifecycle of eggs, to developing into a larva, and eventually, pupa develops into a full-grown adult flying mosquito. Here is a list of common mosquito breeding sources that you can eliminate
- Potted plants in the living room or balcony
- Flower pot trays and plates used to house plants
- Ornamental containers or vase used as home décor
- Containers or pails used for housekeeping or domestic cleaning
- Toilet bowls and cisterns
- Undisposed stagnant water collected in the home
- Potted plants displayed at courtyard, garden and car pouch
- Gully traps
- Roof gutters
- Drains and grease traps
- Discard receptacles that stores uncleared stagnant water
Every homeowner has to play his or her part to be aware on how to control mosquito breeding. They can exercise diligence in being more aware of their home facility condition. They can start to remove stagnant water opportunity by emptying critical items that is capable of storing water.
Raising awareness on the signs of mosquitoes
To protect yourself and your family, especially homes with young and elderly, is to raise awareness on detecting mosquitoes signs. Some common signs include
- Physical adult mosquitoes buzzing around you in the home
- Suffering from mosquito bites and rash
- Sighting of larvae in collected stagnant water along drains, mosquito breeding items, ponds etc
- High pitch buzzing sounds around your ears
Learning more about Dengue Clusters in Singapore
There are certain parts of Singapore that has more dengue cases compared to others. Dengue cluster is defined with an area with activity of more than 2 dengue cases within a 14 days period. There are 3 alerts, including the red alert comprising 10 cases or more, yellow alert with 10 cases and below and lastly, green alert, meaning no new dengue cases for the next 21 days period.
There are steps to take to prevent ourselves from bitten by mosquitoes. Firstly id=”how-to-prevent-mosquito-bites-and-health-risks”>, you can apply mosquito repellent especially when you are engage outdoors, such as the garden and field. It helps cladding in long sleeves or pants for fitness to protect skin contact from female mozzies. Keep yourself cool and dry after an activity and it is always useful to choose light colours instead. For those at home, you can choose to install a mosquito screen to keep mozzies away. Unsure what does a mosquito bite look like? Read more on what is bugging you with the different bites.
Debugged some common mosquitoes pest myths
With the internet and all readily available information, there are various do it yourself (DIY) home remedies for mosquitoes shared. From using spices such as bay leaves, basil and garlic to essential oils or fragrances such as lavender, eucalyptus to rosemary, but one common choice of natural ingredient is lemongrass. The question is we are all curious is does lemongrass repel mosquitoes. Dr Chan, Rentokil Initial’s medical entomologist discuss its properties helps in blocking mosquitoes scent sensing. However, the dosage level is not efficient enough to get rid of mosquitoes in an adequate manner. Read more pest myth article if lemongrass is the most effective mosquito repellent.
Engage mosquito control treatment
As homeowners, how can we control mosquitoes and ensure the safety of the family? What can I spray for mosquito control? Is there any insecticide we can use, similarly how we spray and eliminate ants and cockroaches? Mosquito eradication methods covers both indoor and outdoor to ensure adequate protection and reach. To ensure we consider the lifecycle of a mosquito, an integrated mosquito control program requires water-based fogging to eliminate adult flying mosquitoes and larviciding to remove any breeding mosquitoes. Placing of mosquito trap is also essential to trap the remaining mozzies that could be flying from external or neighbouring sites.
How much does mosquito control costs?
Cost of a programme is determine by a few factors.
- Coverage area if both internal and external spaces are treated, perimeter and area size
- Frequency of treatment, if weekly, fortnightly or monthly service is required
- The type of treatments delivered, covering all 4 essential control methods or basic service
- Are additional protection required, i.e. placing more traps at strategic locations
- Utilising environmentally-friendly solutions
- Read more on average pest control cost in Singapore
Adopt useful mosquito prevention tips
Mozzies can come around from anywhere and everywhere. They may fly in from your neighbouring sites, ventilation and windows. You may caught a mosquito situation outdoors. In fact, even at outdoor alfresco dining could be a possible risk location. In short, we tend to come into regular contact with mosquitoes, and unfortunately, there is no best natural remedy for mosquitoes. Can pest control get rid of mosquitoes? Mosquito management requires both individual and the company to optimise control synergy. However, you can adopt useful mosquito prevention tips to keep infestation at bay.
- Remove breeding source
- Be mindful of your facility maintenance
- Place mozzie traps and window sills
- Engage pest control services for elimination and protection
- Use repellents and apply personal protection with covered attires outdoor
Call Rentokil Singapore at 6347 8138 for integrated mosquito control programme today.
Topics that people also ask
Are mosquitoes a problem in Singapore?
Mosquitoes have been a rising problem in Singapore due to a few factors
- Weather that influences the population and growth of mosquitoes
- Urbanisation that promotes breeding and presence of mozzies in and out of a building
- Increase in traveling or exposure to potential Aedes Mosquitoes clusters or location, that spreads infection around
- Growing preference in gardening and planting, that raises risks of stagnant water and mosquito breeding
- The need to heighten and increase awareness of integrated mosquito control problem
- Taking care of indoor infestation and not just the external
Can pest control get rid of mosquitoes?
Pest control companies can get rid of mosquitoes breeding through larviciding treatment and eliminating adult mosquitoes through water-based fogging. Remaining mozzies that could potentially fly to other hiding spaces can be controlled and trapped with mosquito traps. However, residents have to play their part by eliminating any mosquito-breeding source, engage in proper mosquito control programme and be more aware of mosquito infestation signs.
Midges in Singapore
Midges are attracted to nectar and humans as well, largely carbon dioxide and body warm. Commonly found near swampy or moist area, they may bite and suck blood from humans and pet. Even though they need protein blood meal, they are different from mosquitoes.