Rats are one of the most annoyed and feared pests, because of its intelligence, filth and harm it caused to humans. Rentokil Pest Control shares the complete guide on how do you stop a rat infestation and discuss more about rat control in Singapore.
Complete guide agenda covers the following:
- What are the different rat species type
- A comparison between rats and mice
- What diseases can you get from rats?
- What causes rat infestation?
- Steps to take when encountering rat problem
- Learn the signs of rat infestation
- How smart are rats and mice?
- Debugged rats pest myth
- How do you control a rat infestation?
- How much does it cost for rat control?
- Rats preventive tips
What are the different types of rats?
Rats are perhaps one of the smartest and capable pests in survival. Here is a list of three different common species of rats
- Also known as black rat
- Brown in colour with a mix of white, black and grey shades
- Have a diet preference of moist and fruits
- Very agile and good climbers
- Comes with a pointed nose and large ears
- This pest is also known as sewer rat
- Brown and grey in colour and live in loose colonies
- They usually have blunt nose, small ears but with a thicker body size
- They seek cereals meals for food source
- May be found in sewers, root tops and underneath flood boards
- They are light brown to greyish black in colour
- House mouse possess small feet and head with large ears and eyes
- Similarly like cereal for meal
- Good climbers, swimmers and jumpers
- Often seek shelter and warm in homes
Here are some common questions around rat facts
Q. What does a rat eat?
A. Rats eat almost anything and everything; however, they have certain preference such as cereals, fruits, vegetables, grains, nus and perhaps decaying leftovers in waste bins.
Q. What is the lifespan of a rat?
A. Rat’s lifespan may be impact by a few factors such as the living condition, availability of food source, presence of rat elimination. The type of rat species also determines how long do rats live. For example, a brown rat may survive up to 2 years, and a black rat around a year.
What is the difference between rats and mice
|Size||Larger, usually range from up to 9 inches||Smaller, and size range up to 4 inches|
|Tail||They have long tails, but are hairless compared to mouse||They have long, thin and hairy tails|
|Snout||More blunt in shape||Sharper snout, in a triangular shape|
What are some and diseases caused by rats?
Because of the places rats hide and hang around, they picked up bacteria and germs, rats are dangerous. Can rat faeces make you sick? Yes, these droppings can cause allergies and capable of spread diseases.
Some of the common diseases we may be familiar of, in making us sick includes
- Hantavirus with symptoms including fever, fatigue, muscle pain, food poisoning signs including vomiting and diarrhoea
- Salmonella that is a common food contamination causes. They cause symptoms such as fever and chills, abdominal pain, nauseating or vomiting and diarrhoea
- Lymphocytic Choriomeningitis that is an infectious disease because of exposure and interaction to rats’ droppings, urine and saliva. Symptoms include fever, vomiting, muscle ache and in severe cases, confusion, motoring problem.
- Do rats bite? Yes, they do and cause rat bite fever. It causes infection due to its bacteria and you may suffer from fever, rash or allergy, headaches and muscle pain
Besides diseases, rats are capable of gnawing and chewing electrical wires and cable, causing potential short circuit and even fire.
Learn the possible causes of rat infestation?
Poor housekeeping, sanitation and hygiene standards, lifestyle, habits and environment condition causes rat infestation. This includes
- Presence of food waste and debris lying around and waste that are left-over and not cleared
- Grease, dirt and grime not thoroughly removed on food preparation spaces such as sinks, utensils, stoves and drains
- Clutters and piles that provide perfect hiding and nesting corners for rats in seek of shelter. This can clarify question around where do rats hide.
- Giving rats the opportunity to climb and slip into a home or restaurant through windows, ceiling, pipes, sewer, grease traps, man holes and roof top gaps
- Water and moisture, which not only rats but all pests require to survive
- Open concept design homes and cafes that allow rats entry in an easier manner
What should you do if you have rats problem?
Firstly, do not panic with the thought of rat invasion in your home. Take note of the time of the day you spot them, where is the location they are seen and if you manage to take a picture of the rats, this will help to identify the right rat species. Do not attempt to catch them on your own, as they carry diseases and may cause a bacterial infection. Call a professional pest control company to trap these rats for you.
Learn the signs of rats’ infestation
Ever wonder why some people might have spotted scurrying rats but not you? When do rats come out then? Just like cockroaches, rats are nocturnal pests that comes out at night to search for food, and rest most of their time in the day. Hint: If you do see a rat running around in the daytime, it might mean a sign of heavy rat infestation.Ever wonder why some people might have spotted scurrying rats but not you? When do rats come out then? Just like cockroaches, rats are nocturnal pests that comes out at night to search for food, and rest most of their time in the day. Hint: If you do see a rat running around in the daytime, it might mean a sign of heavy rat infestation.
- Presence of droppings along surfaces
- Unpleasant urine stench or stains
- Noticeable gnaw marks, holes and foot steps
- Scratching sounds
- Burrows, which are holes dug by rats to nest and hide
We have compiled a list of interesting insights on rat infestation
- Details on how rat infestation looks like
- Which other pests surface at night
- Smell can be a good indicator of pest infestation
- Top 5 unexpected food that pests love
How smart are rodents in Singapore
Getting rid of rats are challenging because rodents are smart by nature. Coupled with their capabilities and urbanisation problem in Singapore, rats is a tricky pest to eliminate. You may ask how do rats get into homes and do rats learn to avoid traps. Why is it possible that the traps are unable to lure and trap them? We have summarised a list of rats’ talents
- They are very agile and flexible. Imagine they are capable to slip through a 1cm hole.
- They can bend and act as a contortionist to squeeze through those holes and gaps in your home
- Rats can produce faster and in large amounts that you can control. They produce offspring up to 8 times a year and 4 to 10 litter at every one time.
- Due to its suspicious and wary nature, they are not easily fooled and lure to traps and gimmicks
- An expert in hide-and-seek, they tend to hide at spaces and corners that are beyond sight and reach.
- Rats seek food meals easily in the homes, garbage area, outdoors. In fact, it is practically anywhere!
Debugged Pest Myth
Some said using natural home ingredients are effective DIY rat control methods. To name a few, mothballs, spices such as pepper and baking soda, ammonia, essential oils and constructing your own DIY rat baiting and traps.
Rat control Programme in Singapore
Rentokil discuss what are the most effective rat traps and rodent control solution to consider.
- An initial inspection and site assessment is necessary to determine the key risk areas, type of rat infestation, safety risk examination and environment condition
- Line of defence can range from 1 to 3 – 3 being the most comprehensive protection, providing up to 3 barriers of entry
- Tamper resistant baiting stations with lure within are placed are strategic locations to trap the rats
- Scheduled inspection and service visits are arranged to check for infestation condition, replace baits and removed rats
- Specialist will conduct reporting and monitoring to discuss how to improve situations
- Additional recommendation and tips are also suggested to ensure a good pest control synergy partnership
As we moved into urbanisation and modernisation, and with the rising challenge in eliminating these intelligent pests, Rentokil Initial designs connected technology to control rats in a digital and smart manner.
- Units are designed with sensor technology for higher accuracy and detection level
- Signals of these rat activities are sent to a command centre where red alerts are notified
- Specialists are more proactive and productive in responding to a rat situation vs the need for users to notify
- Pest trend analysis by locations/ zones and by months are monitored
- Digital reporting is accessible 24/7 in a secure manner by a login
How much does it costs to remove rats
The cost of rat control varies and may range depending on a few factors. The cost of rat control varies and may range depending on a few factors
The area of coverage
- Warehouse or food manufacturing plant may comprise a bigger coverage
- Does it cover outdoor and indoor
- Is 3 lines of defence coverage required
Level of infestation
- The volume of baiting units may be dependent on the seriousness of infestation.
- For a maintenance problem with low infestation, a couple of units are hot spots are sufficient.
- In severe cases, an intensive rat control stations that can trap a range of 20 to 30 rats may be used.
Zero-Tolerant Pest Policy
- In some business nature, the demand and expectations of zero-pest policy is high. Especially for high dependency sectors, food establishments and service-centric environment in a hotel, the utilisation of digital rat control may be deployed for optimal protection
Resource and Labour
- Particularly for large scale and complex environment and business settings, additional resources may be deployed onsite for intensive monitoring and servicing.
Value added Services
- Where businesses are dependent on their end-users partnership, such as a factory or production plant, pest awareness training and workshops are catered to ensure users are well equipped of the do’s and don’ts in rat management
- Option to engage field biologist and entomologist for professional and technical advice.
Rats’ preventive tipsRats’ preventive tips
There is no best way to get rid of rats or best rat repellent available in the industry. Because of the rats’ intelligence, modernisation and end users habits and lifestyle, a good partnership is required. Here are some useful rat preventive tips you can adopt
- Always remember to maintain quality housekeeping and facility maintenance
- Never leave garbage bin open and dispose trash regularly
- Store unused food suppliers in well-sealed containers
- Clear up grease, dirt and grime around surfaces
- Apply proofing to prevent rat entry, seal any cracks and crevices
- For production and warehouse, always keep door closed at all times
- Reduce clutter and piles of boxes and mess to prevent rats hiding around
Call Rentokil Singapore at 6347 8138 for an integrated digital rodent control today.
Other topics that people asked
What will repel mice?
Many DIY Mice Home remedies are widely used to repel mice.
- Spices such as black or cayenne pepper, bay leaf and baking soda
- Moth balls
- Essential oils such as Peppermint oil
- Ammonia smell
- Ultrasonic sound waves
Where do rats hide during the day?
Rats’ hide out are usually out of our sight, including burrows underground, basements, among those stone bricks, bushes and trees, attics, ceilings or root tops, and among clutters and within cabinets, closets and storages. Some of the other common hot spots include drains and sewers.
Will rats leave if there is no food?
Rats can live longer without food; however, without water supply will shortened their life span Because rats consume almost anything, without food and water, they can feed on any other items that may be readily available and within reach. This includes dead or live insects, faeces or decaying matter.