Are you guilty of leaving out the trash before bedtime? Do you leave the rubbish bags or huge bin out there in the kitchen as it is?
Some homes have the convenience of built-in rubbish chutes within the kitchen, the chances of having overnight trash could be lower. For most homes and new developments, rubbish chutes are designed out of the home along common sharing spaces located outside of the units. This makes trash being left out in the home compound to become overnight trash an easy habit.
What happens if you do not clear your overnight trash?
Leaving trash overnight at home means an accumulation of waste and rubbish before they are disposed of. Alert: What are some consequences and possible risks?
- Pests such as ants and cockroaches are seem rummaging for food supplies. Secure your bins tightly with a lid.
- Waste turned into decaying matters, thus attract pests such as cockroaches and flies that feed on garbage and waste.
- Foul smell develops within the home in overnight trash
- Overflowing waste resulting in spills and debris on the floor
- Waste bins turn into breeding space for bacteria – pests may pick up these bacteria and drop them off your food preparation surface or cooked meals, thus resulting in potential food contamination
- Potential poor air quality due to bad odour and decomposition from the overnight trash
- Pests such as cockroaches and rats are nocturnal pests and comes out at night to find their food meals. This means that living your indisposed trash overnight increases the risks of this pests scavenging for food.
What are some useful home cleaning tips you can adopt?
- Use bins with securely covered lids
- Dispose waste regularly and ensure its not overflowing
- Wipe off any spills, dirt and grime surrounding the bin
- Ensure no leaks or spills in the bin that results in breeding ground
- Check for potential infestation signs of cockroach during your home cleaning
To note: Not all odor is related to decomposed waste and garbage. It could be a sign of cockroach infestation if you notice a distinct musty smell. A rusty and urine-like smell could be signs of rats’ presence and sweet musty odour could be bed bugs!
So, start by diligently clearing out your everyday trash and avoid letting them become overnight trash.