Lizards are quite a typical sight in Singapore homes. They are generally harmless, even helpful to some extent, as they help reduce the population of insects in your home by preying on flies, mosquitoes, and moths. However, while it is the case, their presence is something you do not necessarily have to put up with and the fact that they are visually repelling.
So, how do you keep them out of control? As a pest control company in Singapore, we will discuss the most effective ways to get rid of lizards in this article with Rentokil.
These reptiles are harmless creatures, except for the two species called Gila monster and Mexican Beaded lizard, both of which have poisonous venom. Many people only get scared of the lizard because of their appearance and tendency to fall from the ceiling. In the most severe cases, people may experience Herpetophobia—the phobia of reptiles including lizards, snakes, and crocodiles.
Why are lizards considered pests?
You have to be careful with lizards because they carry harmful bacteria that causes salmonella transmitted through their droppings and urine. This can cause serious symptoms such as severe diarrhoea, stomach cramps, fever, even vomiting. In addition, they may carry germs and parasites on their bodies that they can spread in your home. They also leave dropping stains on the walls, fabric and on other sensitive surfaces. Above all, they carry risk of food contamination, particularly if their droppings fall on your food.
What are lizards attracted to?
- Insects – The reason your home is full of lizards is probably that it is also full of insects—their primary food source. After all, where the food is, there the lizards will be.
- Dirt & Clutter – All the food crumbs, spills, and dirt in your home may attract insects and so, lizards too. The same goes for the clutter that gives them too many places to hide.
- Open Doors and Windows – If you leave your doors and windows open a lot, you may be providing lizards, insects, and other pests an easy access point to come into your home.
- Cracks & Holes in Structure – The same is true for the cracks or holes in your window frame, walls, or other structure of your home for their way in.
- Warm Temperature – Being cold-blooded animals, lizards have to stay where it is warm at all times—and often is your warm and cosy home they are attracted.
- Moisture – Much like many other pests, lizards are attracted to any standing water in your home including other sources of moisture such as leaky pipes and garden ponds.
- Fruits – Uncovered fruits in the kitchen could also be possible food sources that attract lizards.
- Location – Living in a warm and humid climate like Singapore, you are predisposed to encountering more lizards at home.
Interesting facts about lizards
- Lizards are attracted to light and is another reason why they are often found in your home.
- There are more than 5,600 species of lizard worldwide. There is evidence that they have been around for over 200 million years
- Lizards lose their tail when they feel threatened, however they can regrow them back in a month
- They use their sense of smell with their tongue. Lizards flick their tongues to capture particles in the air and taste them, which in the process helps them become aware of their surroundings.
- Although they do not have eyelids, which make it possible for them to blink, lizards have a protective membrane that they clean with their tongues.
Home Remedies to Get Rid of Lizards
There are many ways to get rid of lizards. Some of which use natural ingredients that are readily available in your home to repel or deter lizards. Simply placing at locations where lizards frequent at and where they lay their eggs in. However, they might not quite work other than repelling them away.
- Coffee & Tobacco – Mix coffee and tobacco together to make DIY lizard repellent balls. Place these balls at the corners of your home to repel or eliminate lizards that come in contact.
- Naphthalene Balls – Place naphthalene balls in every drawer, cupboard, and any other lizard-prone areas in your home. The pungent smell of these balls can keep lizards away.
- Cold Water – Splashing cold water on the lizard hinder its mobility, thus making it easier for you to catch and dispose of it.
- Eggshells – Eggshells seems to have a pungent smell that irritates lizards. They also give an impression that a bigger creature is close-by, thus inducing fear among lizards.
- Tabasco & Pepper Powder – Lizards are regarded to be allergic to pepper. You can make a spray solution using Tabasco or pepper powder and spray it around your home.
- Spices – Spices like onion and garlic give out a strong, pungent smell that lizards cannot tolerate. You can mix them separately with water and use them as a spray.
- Essential Oils – Essential oils such as citronella is a great option to get rid of lizards while making your house smelling nice and fresh, too. In fact, Citronella is often used to repel many other pests as well.
- Flypaper – Sticky flypapers are as good as trapping lizards as they are at trapping flies. Stick some of them on the wall and wait for some lizards trapped in the adhesive.
Where to find lizards around the home?
Unless they start falling onto you from the upper part of the wall of ceiling, where else are they hiding? Identifying their hot spots and detecting their high activity places can help to adopt a proactive way of controlling lizards.
- Basement: Lizards lay their eggs in moist and cluttered areas, and often basement falls into this category. One way to avoid the overpopulation of lizards is to clear your basement of clutter and keep it dry from moisture and water.
- Cabinet under the sink: Besides the basement, cabinets under the sink is an ideal hiding location for lizards to lay their eggs. What is more is that the moisture may also attract other insects, which also invite lizards during the process.
- Behind the furniture: Lizards tend to like hard to reach and notice spaces to protect their eggs and protect themselves from predators. This includes the back of bookshelves and among furniture items.
- Closets, upper drawers and cabinets rarely opened or used tend to be a perfect breeding place.
- At the back of hanging items and frames pin on the wall that lizards will crawl out from them.
- Underneath the piles of newpapers and piles or within junks and parcels in the storeroom.
How to chase lizards out of your home and prevent them from returning
Lizards are nature’s pest control but your home is not a good place for them. Below are some other measures to get rid of lizards in your home and more importantly to prevent them from returning.
- Eliminate the food source. Lizards eat flies, among other insects, so wash your dishes and clear away garbage to keep flies from entering your home and attracting lizards.
- Reduce clutter. Lizards hide behind picture frames, artwork hung on the wall, bookshelves, even cupboards. They tend to hide among piles of newspapers and garbage cans too so make sure to minimise clutter to reduce their potential hiding places as well.
- Apply some repelling and deterring methods to relocate themselves further away
- Stick traps within the corner of cabinets and drawers or by the sides of wall where they crawl
- Have a standby insecticide spray when the need arise to deal with them instantly
- Engage in regular detection for early lizard infestation and adopt prompt action
- Reduce the insect population in your home as it forms main source of their food needs
- Seek professional help such as the pest control services in Singapore.
Lizard Control in Singapore by Rentokil
For all your pest control requirements, Rentokil Singapore have you covered. Our pest control specialists will clear your home of lizard activity by conducting treatments at scheduled intervals. They will also inspect your home for other insects or pests that might be attracting lizards and trigger of an infestation.
Give us a call today to book an inspection. Visit our website or contact us at (65) 63478138.