Ants’ problem in the house is a common frustration among households in Singapore. In this article, Rentokil Singapore discusses what is the best way to get rid of ants in your home.
Complete guide agenda covers the following:
- What are the ants species commonly found
- Harm that ants that bring to us
- Common causes of ants problem at home
- 5 challenges in dealing with ants elimination
- Interesting ants facts you should know
- Where do ants come from?
- Signs of ant nests
- Natural ways to get rid of ants
- Pest control for ants
- How much is pest control for ants
- Learning more about ants prevention tips
- Ants education and essential facts
- Learning more about white ants and termites
- Types of termites and their nature
- Termite control in Singapore
- Termite education and library
What are the common ant species found in home?
We are all familiar with the annoying crawling ants we see in the kitchen in particular, and we all know they love what we eat, largely the sweet and greasy diet. Perhaps the 2 types of ant species we should pay more attention to would be the sugar ants that could potentially cause food contamination and carpenter ants that are highly connected with structural implications.
However, do you know ants can also be categorised according to colours? For instance, we know fire ants are red and they sting whereas black ants are not as harmful but a colony of them can be annoying in our home. What about? Do they pop in your mind like what exactly are those? Yes, white ants are also known as termites; however, they should not be mistaken for carpenter ants. 1 difference to note is, termites feed on wood, but carpenter ants damage wood by tunnelling their way out.
Harm and damages ants’ can bring to us
Ants annoy us as they crawl in lines along surfaces and on the wall, what other harm and damages they bring to us. Firstly, they carry bacteria and cause diseases such as Salmonella. Secondly, some ants’ bites are painful and cause allergy. Finally, they breed in colonies and spread infestation quickly and seriously. Above all, species such as carpenter ants can damage your furniture as they funnel their way around the structure.
Common causes of ants’ infestation in house
It is probably quite easy to make a guess on what causes ants in the house. Here is a recap summary on common causes of an ant infestation in your home.
- Poor housekeeping with dirt, food debris and water spills left in the home
- Lifestyle habits that promotes ants attraction, such as snacking in the living room or on the bed
- Not clearing food waste and doing the dishes after meals
- Presence of moisture and water spills on table tops and flooring
- Cross infestation activities, for instance bringing in from external spaces. (On your shopping bags or cartons of boxes)
- Ants entering the home through gaps and crevices
- Lack of detection and awareness of potential ant nests harbouring in the hideouts
Five challenges in eliminating ants
Small and harmless as it seems, it seems nothing too complex to deal with. However, ants infestation seems to be recurring every now and then. Firstly, they are tiny and experts in hiding in corners that we missed out. Secondly, the trap methods do not seem to contain them. Thirdly, insecticide sprays stinks and oily after a good spray on them. Fourthly, ants would return very soon, usually in a colony or ants. Finally, they even found outdoors, on the planks and plants.
Interesting ants’ facts you should know
Apart from their miniscule nature, here are some interesting ants we should know:
- Ants travel the entire day. They do not stop till their resting time at night.
- There is over 10 quadrillion ants that are alive at any one time
- They do not have lungs. They breathe through holes found on their bodies.
- Ants use vibrations to hear instead of ears
- These pests are good swimmers and able to survive in water
Where do ants come from?
We are familiar with what ants eat and it largely equates to sugar and food, and the kitchen is the highest hotspot ants found. In addition, this is not excluding living room and dining hall where food and water is available. However, do you know bathroom and patio are risk of ants’ infestation? This is because of the moisture and water they need to survive. Above all, garage, garden and courtyard also have presence of ants. In summary, it is possible for ants to enter from external sources through the gaps and any possible spaces they can slip in.
Signs of ant nests
The easiest and obvious signs of ants crawling along table tops, floors or walls. Usually, they come in a group and a marching line. You may also see black and reddish-bodied ants along wood or furniture. In addition, ant nests typically look like piles of sawdust or wood shavings and found in dark corners or behind walls.
Natural ways to get rid of ants
What are some natural home remedies to get rid of ants? How to stop an ant trial? Here is a list of methods most would try to stop an ant infestation.
- The conventional water and splashing method. Sometimes even hot water is used.
- Squeezing and squashing ants with bare fingers.
- Using insecticide spray found in retail shops
- Placing sticky traps and baits around to lure them
- Diffusers as repellent to deter them away
- Ventilate and sun the home, hoping to eliminate them
- Hanging boxes and bags of mothballs
- Trying various pest myths including cucumber peels, chalk, condiments, spices and vinegar.
Pest Control for ants
Ants pest control includes methods such as using ant repellent spray, we are familiar but professional pest control for ants include proper ant treatment, including outdoor ant control. Firstly, initial site study of the premise conducted to identify key risk area and species type. Secondly, site risk assessment to identify potential risks to take note of during treatment. Thirdly, residual spray with recommended active ingredient and dilution rate carried out. Fourthly, It may integrate with ant gel or baits to complement the treatment. Finally, monitoring and inspection to keep infestation well controlled.
How much is pest control for ants
Prices to engage pest control ants are affordable and value for money. As compared to the more complex and massive scale of treatment, ants treatment can cause few hundreds typically. However, the cost of pest control may cost more depending on the treatment size, coverage area, frequency and level of infestation.
Learning more about ants prevention tips
Pest management is all about housekeeping and maintaining good sanitation standards. Exactly how to keep ants from coming house and what is the fastest way to get rid of ants? Rentokil Singapore shares some useful ants prevention tips you can apply at home here.
Ant education and essential facts library
Rentokil Initial has compiled some top trending blog article on essential information ants management
- Ants FAQ
- Essential ants facts you should know
- How to find ants in home and get rid of them
- Ways to keep ants away from kitchen
- Difference between red and black ants
Learning more about white ants and termites
Unfortunately, the term white ants may be misleading and wrongly classified as ants. They are commonly referred to as termites, which in some way looks similar to that of ants, in terms of their shape, body and antenna. It is crucial to identify the right type of ant species. In this case, are those termites breeding in your home? Read here to find out difference between termites and ants and everything you need to know about white ants.
Types of termites and their nature
If those ants in your home are actually termites, what type of termite species are there?
- Subterranean termite: They live in soil, build a colony and connect upwards by making their way through mud tubes you can see on wall
- Drywood termite: This species live in wood, trees and timbre, and damage wood or furniture as they infest in the long term
- Dampwood termite: Dampwood termite needs vast moisture instead of soil and often live in wood or outdoors
Termite control in Singapore
Termite control services have a few options. Firstly, there is the termiticide injection method that builds a protective barrier around the home and comes with a 7 years warranty with toxic-free solutions for safety. Secondly, there is the baiting method that involves monitoring and eradication of termites by either placing in-ground or above ground bait stations. Finally, there is the drywood termite foaming injection method that pumps active ingredients into wall panels, door frames and structure to prevent further damage to the place Above all, there is a microwave technology that detects termite activity and movements within your home structure.
Termite education and information library
Termites are definitely more challenging and complex pests to understand and recognise overnight. Rentokil summarises some useful termite information you should know. Read more on the complete guide to termite control.
Call Rentokil Pest Control at 6347 8138 for an ants control solution for your home today.