At this pandemic stage of COVID-19 in Singapore as the coronavirus cases are still clocking in everyday, our health and safety are at risks from contracting these bacteria and viruses. However, do you know? The dengue cases in Singapore is also on an upward trend. Find out if your place of residence falls under the dengue cluster here.
In this article, Rentokil shares more on what you need to know about both indoor and outdoor pest control service, what are some of the risks and implications it can pose on our health and how much does pest control cost in Singapore if we were to engage them
What attracts pests to a home?
It is important to understand pest infestation causes for example what makes them attracted to your home.
- Poor housekeeping and facility cleanliness both indoors and outdoors
- Guilty home habits and lifestyle such as snacking at non-eating spaces in the home
- Structure integrity challenges that causes cracks and gaps in the long term
- Existing pest infestation problem at neighbouring locations
- Surrounding environmental and urbanisation issues that promote pests harbourage
- Cross infestation activities such as bringing back bed bugs from elsewhere
- A serious infestation that escalates from an existing pest problem
Common types of pests found in a home
With so many types of pest species in the world, which pests are usually present in a residential home? Firstly, cockroaches and ants are common in homes because of the food source availability. Secondly, mosquitoes as we stay in a tropical city where mozzies presence is inevitable due to rain and the hot climate. Thirdly, so long as there is wood, soil and structure, termites will strive especially in this moist and humid weather of Singapore. Lastly, rats can jump, swim and travel through outdoors and burrows, and enter into residential premises with just a tiny gap.
Where do pests tend to hide and live?
Knowing their favourite hot spots can help to minimise further pest damage and protect your family from further harm. Here is a list of pest key risk areas in a home:
- Dining Room
- Storage Room
- Roof Top/Attic
Understanding more about outdoor pest control
Pests commonly found outdoors
Firstly, greenery and carbon dioxie attracts the mosquitoes that travel from location to location. They are usually present in the garden, lawn area or backyard. Secondly, rats that lurk around the disposal waste area, drains, gully traps and manholes. Lastly, termites such as dampwood termites found in your front porch or garden area, among logs, tree branches and trunks or woody furnishing.
Essential facts of outdoor pests
|Their teeth can grow up to 5 inches and gnaw hard materials including steel and aluminum||Female mosquitoes bite to seek blood meal for protein and survival||Seek moisture and humidity to breed and strive around wood source and home foundation|
|Nocturnal pest and emerge at night for food sourcing||Can lay up to 300 eggs at one time||They are social pests and comes in colonies building|
|Social pests that will live and hang around in groups||Average lifespan is usually less than 2 months||Usually found around logs, dead trees, picket fence and post|
|Can produce around 20 offspring at one time||Attracted to body warm, lactic acid and carbon dioxide||Colony consists of swarmers, soilders, king and queen|
What harm and damages do outdoor pests cause?
Generally, most pests are harmful to a space, property or to our health and safety. Rentokil Singapore shares some of the harm and risks they can create:
- Rats: They chew any hard material like steel and can cause short circuits and fire, besides transmitting diseases and cause food contamination symptoms.
- Mosquitoes: Considered as the “deadly pest” causing dengue fever when bitten by Aedes Mosquitoes. Other mozzie related diseases include the Malaria caused by Anopheles Mosquitoes. In addition, not forgetting the mosquitoes bites and skin infection we may suffer.
- Dampwood Termite: Infest wood-related items that can weaken the structure such as the picket fences, tree and outdoor furnishing and items.
Learn more on common activities and outdoor home mistakes
In fact, we all are guilty of committing some of the common home mistakes that can invite a pest problem. For example, not ensuring adequate home proofing from external to internal that allows rats to enter. In addition, mosquito control is neglected as we take for granted some form of fogging would be carried out by authorities. This is also not forgetting the mosquito breeding sources we created due to poor housekeeping or sanitation habits. Above all, termites is a pest that are unseen and unnoticed. Without proper landscaping and facility management, rotten and decaying wood or tree through moist may occur, thus inviting termite infestation.
Detecting pest infestation signs early as first defence
It helps to detect signs of pest infestation as early as possible. Early detection helps to identify the pest type species, root cause and apply proactive pest control measures to minimise damage impact. Here are some pest signs you can keep a lookout.
|Presence of dark brown rat droppings in a spindle shape||Experiencing mosquito bites on your body||Presence of damaged and infested wood in the garden, usually they are damp|
|Bite or rub marks on surfaces||Physical adult mosquitoes flying around the premise||Fecel pellets and dead swarmers found on the wood and surfaces|
|Scratching noises as they climb through pipes or crawling spaces||Presence of mosquito breeding sources or larvae lying around on stagnant water||Wood infested by Dampwood Termite typically looks clean and smooth|
|Burrow or “digging holes” as they dig their way in to hide||Buzzing sound of the mosquito around your ears||Eaten grain across the wood, that is patched back by their fecal matter|
Engaging outdoor pest control for your home
To take care of the pest matters outside your home, here are some pest control options you can consider
- Integrated mosquito pest control: Comprising water-base fogging to get rid of mosquitoes, larviciding to eliminate larvae and placement of mosquito trap to lure and control adult mosquito populations.
- Digital rat control: To get rid of rats effectively, there is a digital solution to ensure accurate detection of rats’ activity, and controlling rats’ population in a productive and targeted manner.
- Termite protection program: Various termite treatment options are available to suit different parts of the home. For example, termite baiting, tree trenching and residual spraying treatments are some examples to get rid of termites.
For the additional protection particularly during this COVID-19 period, outdoor surface disinfection service is essential. This is so if you have kids or elderly hanging out at the courtyard and garden with many surface contact points. Diseases transmitted with tonnes of bacteria and viruses found on them. Above all, things might turn worse if family members fall and suffer from open wounds. We do not hope to contract with this disease-causing organism.
Rentokil Tea Tree Oil Surface Sanitisation
As the name suggests, the disinfection treatment is organic and safe for application on your outdoor surfaces and materials including metal or plastic. Besides removing harmful microorganisms and pathogens including bacteria and viruses, it can protect your family from spread of diseases. Some of the features of this environmentally friendly surface sanitisation solution includes:
- Non-toxic and safe for humans and pets
- Effectively removes most bacteria and viruses
- Applicable at sensitive areas including playground, sports tools and ground surface
- Tea tree oil medicinally identified as an antiseptic and anti-inflammatory oil used by many
- Contains anti-fungal elements that eliminates fungi pathogen that causes infection
Engaging indoor pest control for your home
Pests commonly found indoors
Pests are everywhere so long as there is food, water and shelter to survive. In addition, it does not mean so long as we shut our doors tight from external surroundings and we are safe. Pests could enter and lurk in our homes through various means. Firstly, cockroaches and ants can enter from any possible holes and cracks and breed in the home due to food meals available for their feeding and poor housekeeping regime. Secondly, termites love wood and every part of your home internally is a delicious meal for them to survive. Thirdly, mosquitoes can fly in through the windows or breed from the stagnant water in the balcony. Finally, Let us not forget the risks of transporting bed bugs back from any lodging or external environment that has presence of bed bugs.
Essential facts of indoor pests
|Require moisture to survive and live in underground and below your home||Common ant species we are familiar with is the sugar ants or carpenter ants in our home||They don’t fly but glide and able to move very quickly as they seek retreat|
|They build mud tubes as a source for traveling their way up||Feed on sweet and sugar stuffs, nectar, juices, insects and water||Feed on almost anything, including decaying or decomposed matters|
|2 common species includes subterranean and drywood termite species||Able to swim and survive in water by holding their breath for a period||Cockroaches are nocturnal and surface at night seeking food meal|
|Usually more active in warmer climates and weather conditions||Ants use pheromones to communicate with each other||Hold their breath well and able to submerge in water for at least 40 minutes|
What harm and damages do indoor pests cause?
These common pests may sound less harmful or scary as compared to outdoor pests such as bees, rats, snakes or even birds. However, indoor pests can cause some detrimental consequences if left untreated.
- Termites: Known to be the architectural enemy of most homes, termites can weaken home structure, damaged wall and door frames, and even cause ceilings to collapse in severe cases.
- Cockroaches: Besides gliding around us causing scary nightmares of these nasty pests, cockroaches can contaminate food through the bacteria they picked up from unhygienic sources.
- Ants: Tiny but mighty, besides causing food poisoning risks, some ants bites can be stinging and painful, causing skin allergies and infection.
- Bed Bugs: Cross infestation basis, bed bugs can spread quickly around the home and cause bed bug bites that are itchy, red and swollen. In some cases, it may turn into a skin infection.
What are some common poor home and lifestyle habits?
We all look forward to returning to our cosy home after a hard day’s work. As we get too comfortable, we tend to neglect or procrastinate some essential home needs. Firstly, we tend to snack and eat on the sofa while watching TV or even in the bedroom that leaves food crumbs behind. Secondly, we leave cleaning and sweeping as the last priority in our home checklist. Thirdly, clutters, boxes, newspapers and parcels accumulates in the storeroom. These piles are likely removed only during the spring cleaning period. Fourthly, we love plants while forgetting the excess water and spills that create mosquitoes breeding opportunities. Finally, drips and droplets of water after hand washing or shower becomes a trip hazard. These also create opportunities for pests to breed on, for instance termites! Read more on the top home mistakes we are all guilty of.
Detecting indoor pest infestation signs can be simple
Usually pest signs are not easy to identify or spot, unless it is obvious or too visible due to high infestation level. Here is a summary of common pest infestation signs for termites, ants and cockroaches.
|Presence of mud tubes and mud trials running along wall||Crawling ants seen on the wall, table or counter tops||Cockroach droppings that looks blackish and grainy|
|Surfaces that look dusty and dirty along window wills or door frames||Presence of ants nest usually found deep within cabinets||Egg cases that is brown in color and oval shape|
|Walls that are damaged or cracked or bubbling floor surfaces||Ant trails or also known as pathway for ants to leave their pheromone||A musty and unpleasant foul odour coming from their urine and droppings|
|“Flying termites” or known as alate hovering around the home||Dead ants that seen or found in drinks and glasses||Presence of live cockroaches creeping from cabinets and behind appliances|
Engaging indoor pest control for your home
Internally, there are also pest management solutions to cope with pests found within the home.
- Termite Control Programme: Comprehensive and eco-green termite control solutions that involves building barriers around the home with a 7 years warranty. In addition, it paralyses the termite muscles thus preventing them from feeding and damaging the home further.
- Bed Bug Control: Bed bug control treatments are usually ad hoc for acute infestation where it is brought into homes and spreads from room to room, infesting curtains, bed, furniture and mattresses. It includes residual spray for 3 times to deal with adult bugs and steam treatment to eliminate the eggs
- Cockroach and Ants Treatment: Residual sprays and gels conducted at carefully identified treatment areas and monitored monthly for efficacy and infestation control.
Rentokil Indoor Surface Sanitisation
Rentokil Initial has recently launched the indoor surface disinfection services that effectively removes pathogens including bacteria and viruses. The disinfection treatment has proven to last for 30 days even if there are regular washing and cleaning in place. In addition, food-safe graded means it brings another level of safety and assurance to sensitive application locals including homes.
Why pest control is essential during COVID-19
Besides the transmission of the COVID-19 viruses, there are other pathogens around us, such as bacteria and disease-causing organisms caused by pests. Firstly, there are vector-borne diseases such as the dengue fever. Secondly, rats can cause hazardous implications such as fire. Thirdly for commercial businesses, flies presence is detrimental for food businesses particularly restaurants, food processing and catering. Flies control is essential to get rid of flies and control flies infestation. Lastly, we should not compromise our safety relating to home structure stability.
How often should you engage pest control services?
Intense and stringent pest control programmes are not necessary unless the infestation is heavy, involves a complex or massive coverage, premise is undergoing critical regulatory audit compliance standards or there are multiple pests to deal with. Generally, most services are held monthly. However, for critical pests such as mosquitoes, they may be required to be carried out every 2 weeks or less. For acute or ad-hoc cases, additional one-time-off pest jobbing is conducted. Above all, monthly inspection and yearly renewal expected to control infestation in a consistent and stable manner. Read more on when and how often to engage pest control company.
Price of pest control can be affordable at this period
With all reasons and needs to have pest management in place, of course one of the major concerns in taking the first step is about price and cost. Pest solutions are available to suit an individual’s budget and affordability appetite. For instance, for commercial businesses who undergo taxing operating costs, Insect Light Traps with energy cost savings is available. The comfort level of investment determines the frequency or type of active ingredient used. However, cost should not be considered on a short-term basis, but essential to engage in credible and quality solutions that can protect you on a longer-term basis. Read more on factors to determine how much do we really need to invest and commit to pest control management.
Protecting yourself during the Coronavirus period
Personal hygiene including hand hygiene has to be diligently complied during this period. Washing hands with soap properly and adequately, applying hand sanitisers for additional protection and even installing toilet seat cleaners can help optimise hygiene standards.
Engage adequate pest control services to keep infestation control at bay. This helps to minimise any additional health safety risks and business risks such as penalty and business closure.
Here are some pest preventive tips you can adopt to enhance your safety:
- Prevent yourself from mosquito bites by keeping cool and using a repellent. Long sleeves and pants can help to prevent skin exposure from bites risks. Read more on mosquitos’ preventive measures.
- Beneficial to maintain diligent housekeeping, clearing of clutters, wiping and moping to improve sanitation standards and reduce pests hiding nests
- Keeping surfaces dry from water spills and moisture can minimise pest harbourage
- Proofing your home and sealing any gaps and crevices can prevent pest entries
- DIY Pest control home remedies can be applied for some deterring efforts
Call Rentokil Pest Control at 6347 8138 for professional pest control services today.